Around the world, billions of people are using social apps and the number is increasing day by day. Social media has taken over the world. People spend hours and hours on them. Instagram is one of the most used social media app being used around the globe. Like most of the apps, Instagram is very user friendly and people like it for that. Instagram allows you to edit your profile pic and upload short videos on your profile through your mobile app or through the computer. It can also allow you to make your profile private so that only you and your friends will see the photos and videos you upload. Let's learn the important questions about an Instagram username that may come to your mind. What is the difference between user name and display name?
First, you need to understand that there is a difference between your username and your display name. It's your username that appears at the top of the profile. The user name is visible at the end of your profile URL. On the other side, the display name is below the avatar in your profile. Are there any specifications for username?
There are several things you need to keep in your mind while changing your Instagram user name
- The username can’t have more than 30 characters
- The user name should only contain letters, numbers, periods, and underscore.
On the other hand, there are no specifications for the display name you can use emoji and special characters too. It does not have to be very unique but of course, it shouldn’t match any other display name.
Does Instagram allow you to change your username?
Although most of the social media apps don’t allow you to change your username
once you confirm it but, the good news is that Instagram allows you to change your username as many times as you want it. Instagram doesn’t limit the time you change your username. You can change your username on your mobile and on your computer too. It's quite surprising that where most of the social apps don’t allow you to change your username but Instagram offers this opportunity. You need to make one thing sure that the user name should be very unique. It's your identity and it has to be different from others. Otherwise, Instagram will reject it.
How to change your Instagram username on android or iPhone mobile?
You can change your username on Instagram through Android mobile and iPhone both. To change your username on Instagram first you have to log into your account. It is very important to notice if you have more than one account then make sure that you have a login to the Instagram account that you have to change your username. There are the following steps you need to know if you want to change your username on your mobile.
- The first step is to log in to your Instagram account.
- There is an avatar icon in the right corner of your profile.
- Next, the step is to tap that avatar icon.
- Once the profile opens then tap on the edit profile.
- When you tap on the username in edit profile it will show you the option to edit the profile and you can type in your new Instagram user name.
- Make sure that the username doesn’t exceed 30 characters and think of a unique username.
- Once you have entered your username then click on the done button and your username will change.
How to change your Instagram username on your computer?
If you like to use Instagram on your computer or you don’t like using it on your mobile and you want to change your Instagram username in a web browser or the desktop version of your Instagram account then there are the following steps you need to follow to change it. Let's have a look at the steps. These steps will guide you to change your username easily.
- First, open the web browser, and then go to Instagram.com.
- Then log in to your Instagram account and enter your username and password.
- If you have logged in already then just click on the continue button to proceed.
- Next, you will click on your profile icon.
- The profile icon is on the right side of the homepage.
- Once you open your profile then you have to click on the edit profile to change the username.
- Edit Profile will show you an option to change your bio then you have to click on edit user name and change your username.
- Once you enter the desired username click on done and your username will be changed.
After how many days you can change your username again?
For instance, if you didn’t like the user name that you had decided on and you want to change the username again then you have to wait for at least fourteen days. You cannot change your username before fourteen days. So, the minimum number of days you have to bear with that name is fourteen days only. Instagram is the only app that provides you with this opportunity.
What if the username you decide is taken?
As it has mentioned above the username has to be very unique. You cannot have the same username as someone else. Instagram follows the trend of first come first get. If the username you suggest is taken by someone else then Instagram will let you know about this. When you press done on the mobile after deciding your username then Instagram will show you that this name has been taken by someone else. If you still want to have that name then you can add numbers or underscores to your username.